Thursday, November 15, 2012

Southern Tier Double Milk Stout

As the weather outside begins to chill, it's time to warm up to a good stout. Tonight, my choice is Southern Tier's Double Milk Stout. The stout is not a beer style I have always enjoyed, but I find that I'm liking them more and more. This is my first milk stout, and I'd say it was good choice.

For anyone not familiar with milk stouts, it's essentially a stout that contains lactose. The lactose (sugar from milk which does not ferment in the beer) adds body and sweetness to the beer.

Double Milk Stout, or 2X Stout as it's labeled, is very dark with a slight amber tint. My pour had minimal head and lacing, but I'm willing to chalk that up to user error. I don't exactly pride myself on exceptional pouring skills. There is a lot going on in the aroma, and if I had to describe it in one word, it would be "chewy." It smells very robust with lots of chocolate and coffee, but there is also a roastiness present.

One of the features that attracts me stouts is the smoothness, and Southern Tier has nailed it with this milk stout. It feels thicker than it looks and it goes down silky smooth. The aroma does not betray the flavor either; there is plenty of chocolate and coffee present. However, the flavors are very well balanced and I don't feel overwhelmed by any one flavor in particular. It is very malty and lightly hopped, and I detect a very slight alcohol warmth on the finish.

I don't have a fireplace, but I imagine this would be a great beer for a cold night in front of the fire. I plan to pair my next bottle with dark chocolate. If you're fan of stouts and have not tried Southern Tier's Double Milk Stout, I recommend giving it a shot. If you have, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment