Friday, April 13, 2012

Magic Hat #9


Magic Hat #9 was one of my very first forays into craft beer, and for that reason it holds special place in my heart. I'm not willing to go so far as to call this a world-class beer, because it isn't, but from my very first bottle many years ago, it has remained one of my all-time favorites.

It pour amber with a very slight haze. My pour yielded at least two fingers worth of frothy head, but retention and lacing are not great. I won't be too critical about appearance with this beer, though, because usually just drink it from the bottle.

The aroma is highly fruity with apricot and papaya being the most prominent. There are also some citrus and floral notes present along with a light malt scent.

Taste pretty much mirrors the nose. It's definitely fruity but not overly sweet. The apricot is the most noticeable fruit flavor, but there is also some of the papaya from the aroma as well as some citrus. It is very lightly hoped and the slight bitterness is reminiscent of grapefruit. It is lightly carbonated and extremely smooth.

While I acknowledge that most would probably rate this beer as average, this has been a favorite of mine since I started drinking craft beer and it remains one of my "go-to" beers. Although it is available year-round, its general lightness and fruit flavor make it perfectly refreshing on a hot summer day. I realize this is high praise, but if I could only drink five beer for the rest of my life, #9 would be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment