Friday, March 2, 2012

Great Lakes Dopplerock


Doppelrock is a beer that I had heard about but had never actually seen in the store. The 4-pack I picked up happened to be the very last one on the shelf, so I didn't hesitate to grab it. I've been a big fan of Great Lakes for a while, so I was quite eager to give this brew a try.

Doppelrock is a doppelbock beer, which, for anyone who may be aware, basically means this is a very dark, malty lager beer. It pours a very dark brown, copper color with about two fingers of creamy, off-white head. Head retention and lacing are fair to good and there is good bit of carbonation in this beer. The aroma is rich with dark bread malts and hint of caramel. It smells quite sweet, and I may have detected a bit of fruitiness (cherries, perhaps).

Doppelrock is a fitting name for this beer because it rocks. The most prominent flavor is the rich bread malts, but I also noticed some chocolate malts as well. Along with the malts, there is also a bit a caramel, and those cherries from the aroma sneak in there, too. It is sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. On the finish, there is very little hops flavor, but there is a bit a sting from the alcohol that lingers on the tongue.


I have not had too many doppelbocks, but I'm certainly a fan of the style. After trying Doppelrock, I'm going to seek out some others for sure. Let me know if you have any suggestions. This is the first time I've ever seen this particular brew in a store, and since I'm not sure when or where I will be able to get it again, I plan to savor the couple I have left!

No comments:

Post a Comment