Saturday, February 25, 2012

New Holland Envious

Whilst browsing the beer menu at a local restaurant I stumbled across New Holland Envious. The idea of paying $10 for a single glass of beer was something that frightened, yet intrigued me. The menu noted that the envious was brewed with pear juice and fermented in oak barrels with champagne yeast and raspberries. Sounding like perhaps the most unique beer I've ever had, I couldn't pass this one up.

Served on tap, it was clear, reddish-brown color, with a small amount of tan head. The smell was very sweet. Cherries and raspberries are definitely noticeable, and I think I picked up a hint of figs as well. A slight, almost bready malty-ness accompanied the sweetness.

I was counting on this beer being unique, and it didn't disappoint. Fruits definitely dominate the taste of this beer, yet its not overly sweet. The oak flavor is noticeable but not overwhelming. A little malty-ness on the finish, with raspberry flavor and aroma throughout. It has a very pleasing, somewhat complex flavor. Sort of reminded me of three philosophers.

The envious was very satisfying, but not life changing. I would certainly drink it again... especially if someone else is paying. If I'm picking up the tab, this ones going to have to wait for a special occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment